Au Naturale by Mz. Sixx Headlines

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My Pipe Cleaner Curls




I LOVE pipe cleaner curls!!!! Finally a low mainteance style that provide me longlasting curls. If you thought about giving yourself a straw set to create cute spiral curls, this style is for you. The pipe cleaner curls work well to create spiral curls in locs! So, if you want, curly dreadlocks, this is a style for you!

Things you’ll need:
• Pipe cleaners ( I purchased mine from Michael’s Craft Store)
• Shampoo ( Au’Naturale Hair Wash)
• Conditioner ( optional) ( Au’Naturale Hair Mask )
• Setting lotion ( I use Lotta Body- diluted w/ distilled water in a spray bottle)

Step 1
Prep the pipe cleaners- take the pipe cleaners and fold in half, leave a loop at the top and begin twisting the remaining ends. I initially twisted 50 to get started.

Step 2
Wash and condition your hair

Step 3
Towel dry your hair, but do not dry it fully

Step 4
Apply setting lotion, Take a pipe cleaner and roll up small sections of hair damp from the end to the root

** On traditional locs most people do 2 locs per pip cleaner, if you have larger loc’s – like myself- I suggest 1 loc per pipe cleaner** Fold the ends of the pipe curler up and twist it around to secure the pipe cleaner in the hair.
Continue rolling until the entire head is complete.

** If you aren’t re- twisting your roots-You can divide your hair is half and make two ponytails- apply the pipe cleaners to the exposed ends and rolls up to the band holding the pony tail- that will also give you added length and a “not so tight” curl**

Step 5 * optional*
Mist hair once all over with the setting lotion or a moisturizing mist ( 1 part distilled water, 1 part EVOO, couple drops of peppermint oil, and couple drops of Lemongrass Essential Oil- shake well)

Step 6
Sit under a hooded dryer and allow hair to dry completely (I sat under the dryer 1 hour) - You can also allow the hair to air dry. The longer you keep the pipe cleaners in the better- a friend of mine (Doni) kept hers in the entire weekend!!!!

Step 7
Remove the pipe cleaners by pulling the pipe cleaners straight down (do not unravel)

Step 8 – REVEAL YOUR CURLS
You will have a head of beautiful spiral curls in your locs, dreadlocks, or natural hair. The curls will drop as the days/weeks go by. My locs maintained its curly state for 3-4 weeks.

** Stay tuned- this weekend I will attempt pipe cleaner curls on my daughter 2-strand twist**

2 comments:

naturallady said...

That is so cute and such a good idea. I don't have locs but have been wanting straw curls in my natural hair, you just gave me a great idea. Plus the pipe cleaners bend and that helps with the hold.

Mz. Sixx said...

yes.. My daughter currently has two strand twist and I'm going to pipe cleaner curl her twist- hoping to give her a curly "bush"!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...