Au Naturale by Mz. Sixx Headlines

Friday, May 14, 2010

Interview: Loc Take Down W/ Kellee Tolbert






What's your name and where are you from?
Kellee Tolbert, grew up in Glen Burnie, MD. But I live in Baltimore Now

How long were you loc’d before you decided to take them down?
3 years

Why did you choose to take your loc’s down?
I wanted a change. My locs were not healthy; I had little knowledge about how to care for them at the time. Also, I was not able to do my own hair and it was getting expensive going to the salon just to get a style

What method did you use to remove your locs? Products?
Just a rat-tooth comb, with the metal end and some VO5 conditioner

What has been the reaction of your family and friends since removing your loc’s?
My husband has been very supportive of my natural journey. My mother in the opposite and wishes that I would relax my hair. She was not in favor of the locs either.

What styles do you love to wear the most and why? How do you go about achieving this style?
I like when my hair looks wild and big. I achieve this by twist outs and braid outs

How do you detangle your hair?
I find that detangling before I wash works best for me. I just spray a glycerin/water mixture and take sections with a wide tooth comb and get to work

How do you maintain length? Moisture?
I don’t really worry about length, because there is a lot of shrinkage. Moisture was a big problem for me. I now have the correct mixture of shea butter that works for my hair. I also do a mayo/egg conditioner.. sometimes I add an avocado. It has been working very well for my hair.

How do you protect your curls at night?
If I have a twist out.. I re-twist with shea butter and put my satin cap on

Name a few challenges you are currently facing with your hair. Have you been doing anything different to overcome these challenges?
Right now I am trying to get my hair to grow in the places that were broken off from the locs. Just keeping moisture has been working.

List the products that you use and how you use them. What is your current hair regimen? share what works for you!
I make my own she butter hair cream recently added Soybean oil and Avocado Oil and I have noticed a significant difference in the moisture and shine. For quick styling in the morning I use coconut oil. To wash I use Blacksoap shampoo ( only when I have product in my hair ie. gel ( Ecostyler or aloe gel) Or I just use VO5 with oils added for co-washing. Glycerin/water mix to hydrate curls.

Do you have any advice for other naturals?
Being Natural has more to do with just hair. It is mental! You have to be extremely comfortable with yourself to live outside of society norms. It took me a while to understand this and it is not for everyone. Everyone has their own journey.


Where on the web can we find more about you and your styles?
No website. But maybe in the future I would like to do natural hair consulting; especially for children. Children of bi-racial and adoptive parents. There is a lot of knowledge that needs to be shared. Education is always the key.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...