Au Naturale by Mz. Sixx Headlines

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Coconut Water ~ Health~ Skin~ Hair



I have been struggling with maintaining proper potassium levels due to Lupus and some of my medications. The muscle spasms, drowsiness’s, and extreme thirst was too much to deal with and painful ( imagine the worse Charlie horse you've ever had then magnify that feeling by 10). I didn’t want to have to take another pill ( supplement) and I'm not a fan of bananas ( a great source of potassium), I sought the advice of my doctor as to what I could do naturally to bring my levels up.


He provided me with a list of good sources of potassium including fresh fruits, vegetables, shellfish, beans, wheat bran, salad, nuts, cereals, meat, and dairy foods. Then he told me about Coconut Water { insert O_o } is that like coconut oil?? Coconut milk?? I'd never heard of it. What is it??


Coconut Water a clear liquid extracted from green coconuts is low in fat and calories, has no cholesterol, and has a natural balance of sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium- making it a healthy electrolyte drink. Coconut water is rich in potassium: a typical serving offers 569 mg, which is almost twice the amount in a banana.

The amino acids, potassium, and magnesium that make these tonics such a stellar sip also do wonders for stressed-out skin. You can use coconut water as a facial "mask." Just apply to your skin and let it rest for 5-15 minutes, then wash off. Otherwise you can use it daily to wash your skin. Coconut water not only cleanses, it also tones your skin. If your skin is oily, you can also add grapefruit or pineapple juice to the coconut water, for added benefits.



Coconut water comes in many varieties ( and price points) and is sold everywhere from grocery stores, specialty markets, to Sephora I had imagined that it would taste like one of those fancy drinks you see people drinking while vacationing in a tropical paradise like Hawaii, Mexico or the Caribbean. I saw many celebrities pictured drinking coconut water so I thought, yeah... this is going to be good.

Rihanna

I went to Sam's Club and purchased a case for $15.99.


NOW BEFORE YOU ALL RUN TO SAM'S

STOP....WAIT.... PAUSE...

HAVE A SEAT AND FINISH READING THIS POST

I could NOT drink it- everything I read said it was a " delicious, cool, and refreshing " LIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That stuff hit the back of my throat and BABY... EEERRRYYYYTHING I had previous digested came up and out!!!!!!! It's a taste I cant describe except (IMO) it tasted like a mix of high octane gasoline with a subtle note of coconut.  ( YUKE!!!!!) I have a case of this stuff- and I WASNT GOING TO LET IT GO TO WASTE- what's a girl to do??

The mixologist in me created a (natural) Coconut Water Curl Refesher!!!!!!!!

Recipe: Coconut Curl Quench
1 (can/box) Coconut Water
1/2-1 can (Goya) Coconut Milk
2-3 table spoons of Coconut Oil
2-3 table spoons of Aloe Vera Juice/Jelly ( which ever you have on hand)
 (optional) couple of drops of Vitamin E

Pour  everything into a spray bottle, shake to mix all indgredients. You can use  this as a curl refesher or if you need to mist your hair before/during styling/twisting/braiding this is perfect!!!!!!

I will have to seek an alternative method for taking in more potassium. because I cant stomach the coconut water, but my hair LOVES IT!!!!. ** Guess I better start with banana smoothies**

5 comments:

Atiyah said...

LOL you need to do what I do, I go to the grocery store and purchase one of those cartons of coconunt water until i find one I like. I havent found one yet.

Mz. Sixx said...

Girl, Find a good TASTING one then I'll try it!!!! Everytime I thing about it that gasoline taste forms in my mouth.. lol..lol..

Unknown said...

Hey big sis, Try Goya's coconut water. Everybody's version of coconut water is different. I usually stick with Goya. They have little pieces of coconut in the can.

SHW said...

Definitely try different ones, and you may want to start with one that has another flavor to it like pineapple or guava.

J_smooch84 said...

OMG !!!! Yes I had the same experience when I had some. Someone asked me how it tasted I said "death" lol but i am glad to know that there's a different way to put the awesome nutrients of coconut water to use even if its not drinking it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...