I made my sock bun, then was anxious to rock it! I'd lusting on this naturalista's bun I met at the reggae wine festival- I decided to try my hand at recreating her look
Another view of the bun
This was me bun lovin at the beach
Overall, I loved rocking the bun. It was quick, easy, and keep me on target with my challenge.
Some Naturals prefer "wet bunning"
Wet bunning is great for protecting the length of your hair and for obtaining your dream ends. However, if done incorrectly it can damage your hair.The most important thing to remember when wet bunning is to listen to your hair! If your hair hates wet bunning, then do not do it! If your hair is breaking, try a protein treatment and if it persist, stop wet bunning, etc.
Again, Just listen to your hair
Here are basic tips on Wet Bunning
1. Keep your hair clean!: You are wetting and putting product on your hair and inevitably your scalp every day. Shampoo or ACV rinse to attack product build up. Make sure your hair and scalp is moisturized with natural products before putting it in a bun.
2. Do not use a rubber band to hold your hair. The elastic can break your hair. Go for the Goody ouchless no metal elastic hair ties, Goody Simple Style Spiral Bun Pin , Goody Simple Styles Hair Pin, or Goody Spin Pins. For added protection, Soak hair bands in natural oil once a week: This prevents hair from coming out where the band holds your hair every day.
3. Reposition the bun frequently: This prevents thinning in the area where the bun is formed. If you frequently switch it up between high, medium, and low buns, then this should not be a problem. If you see breakage, just stop. Your hair has feelings, and may not like it.
4. Give your hair line a break: Too much of anything is not good. If you plan to wet bun for a long time. Try taking it down once in a while and just braid while at home or asleep at night.
5. Keep your hair detangled: I comb my hair daily while wet to smooth before bunning. This also keeps it from getting ratty, matted and drawn up. You can use your fingers to do this as well. DO NOT USE a shower detangling comb unless your hair is wet because they will more than likely rip your hair out when dry. If you are co-washing then finger detangle in the shower.
I may start a 30 day (wet)bunning challenge- whose in with me???