Au Naturale by Mz. Sixx Headlines

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Knotty Truth- No Lye!





I've been natural since off and on since March 1995. I've rocked everything from a relaxer to loc's and everything in between. Last night as I was responding to a natural beauty on Twitter, it hit me- THIS SHIT IS TIME CONSUMING! There I said it!!!!!! Sometimes its too much! I dont always want to braid, twist my hair before bed- I miss the days of just laying down! Don't get me wrong- I LOVE my natural hair, and I will NEVER- EVER relax again - NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But lets be honest- I've never in my life had to dedicate so much time into hair. I mix everything that I apply to my hair-conditioner, leave-in conditioner, deep conditioner, hair butters, treatment oils, scalp oils, henna, hair moisturizing mask/clays and lets not talk about the ayurvedic treatments. One day the hair is poppin.. looking like a million bucks....the next she feeling herself- just acting up for NO REASON!!!!! I'm tender headed to the 10th power and DETANGLING IS HATEFUL!!!! Saturday I had a Twitter friend educate me on testing the PH balance in my water-and why I should do it -OK-WHAT??? Among checking labels, and having a boat load of ingredients edged into my brain of what not to use- Now, I gotta put my chemist coat on, get the testing strips and test the PH level in my water???? {OK} you know I'ma do it right ( hehehehehe).

I love my natural hair- we fight, we argue, when I really need her to show up and show out- SHE DOES ( whipping my hair back and forth right now). Having natural hair has made me more conscience of what I put on my hair, and surely has given me greater confidence and pride about my culture. Back in the day if you rocked any variation of a natural you was viewed as "earthy" or "Afrocentric" today- we are from all walks of life and we don't have to walk around with the "assumed" impression that we are "earthy" or "defend" our hair choices (BTW: there is nothing wrong w/ being earthy or Afrocentric). There is no greater, stronger bond than the natural ladies who network and bond over "HAIR". The natural movement is growing and getting stronger, and stronger by the day. I love the feeling I get when I sit down, and " do my hair" - when people ask me " who did your hair" I gleam with pride when I say ME! When I go to the grocery store, I have 2 baskets- (1) for my groceries, (1) for my hair crack. I feel a rush when I stumble upon an item in the store that "may " be the answer to any hair woes that I may be having. I've awaken out of my sleep when Ive forgotten to wrap my hair with a silk bonnet- ( lol..lol..) - yes, I m pressed sometimes (lol..lol..) I'm loving how kids (especially my daughter) just marvels at my hair and wanna embrace their coils, kinks, and curls!!! So yes, caring for natural hair is time consuming - it can be hard work, even a little frustrating-BUT I love it and there is nothing else I rather be doing :)

1 comment:

Mahogany said...

Girl!!! I feel you on this one big time!

I am sitting here now trying to figure out what protective style I will put in my hair since I really haven't been feeling like twisting, the weather is too cold for a wash and go unless I blow dry it, and me pulling it back into a puff is starting to break my hair off.

At the end of the day, I love my 4a/4b natural hair and I wouldn't THINK of adding a relaxer again. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...